Metro Continues Subway Fieldwork on Wilshire
August 20, 2012
Metro contractors are preparing to conduct fieldwork activities in the Miracle Mile area as a part of the pre-construction activities for the Westside Subway Extension. This work will build on the data previously gathered along the route of the project.
Metro contractors will conduct work from Tuesday, August 21 through Friday September 7, 2012 (Weekdays only) from 9:00am-3:30pm at the following locations:
? Along Wilshire Blvd, east of Hudson Avenue
? Along Wilshire Blvd and west of Fairfax Avenue
? Along Wilshire Blvd and west of La Brea Avenue
The equipment to be used during the field testing is described below:
Hollow-stem borings will be used to “develop” 2-inch diameter wells by using a truck-mounted drilling rig. The process involves advancing a 1.5-inch bailer into the well casing and extracting minimum 3 well volumes of groundwater from the well and swabbing the interior of the well casing. The bailed water will be stored in 55 gallon drums and will be picked by a certified waste hauler for testing and disposed of off-site on a daily basis. No digging or excavation will be performed as a part of this task. At the conclusion of well development and sampling, the traffic-rated well box will be put in place to cover the well.
What to Expect During Hollow Stem Drilling:
• A drilling crew consisting of up to 4 personnel per rig.
• A truck-mounted drill rig and support trucks (see photo).
• Drums to collect groundwater for sampling and disposal at conclusion of drilling.
• Parking lanes and/or up to two lanes of traffic will be blocked while work is under way on business/arterial streets.
• Moderate noise.
• Lanes will be cleared at the end of the work period.
Other Important Information:
• All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
• Additional fieldwork following this testing is anticipated. We will inform the areas where and when this work will take place.
• For more information about the Westside Subway Extension, please leave a message at 213-922-6934 or online at www.metro.net/westside.
• For emergencies or issues needing immediate attention, please call 323-889-5311